Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tanner's Story Ends - 7



It is with great sadness that I announce that Tanner has passed on to The Bridge
Here is what Marilyn Sue wrote to me today:


TANNER BOY
March 4, 1999-August 23, 2005


Tanner, the Clown Prince of our castle had to leave us this morning around 8:30 with his last trip to Dr. B~ following a night and early morning that left no question that he had wearied of the battle. Because he was awake all night, I was, too, so we spent a lot of time with him in my arms and we sat in our favorite blue recliner for the last time early this morning. His last hours here at home were spent on his favorite quilt on his place on the loveseat.
In looking for reasons to be thankful, we were very aware that in all of this terrible illness, Tanner never had a broken bone. That is an amazing thing since he seemed so fragile during the past year. Until this morning, he always looked forward to his food and water and lately he had found delicious delight in spending the evening hours in our backyard chasing June Bugs (in June…and some even in July!), crickets, and grass-hoppers. When a bug was about to be captured, Tanner would stand, nose to the ground while his tail did a superb imitation of a helicopter! He even spent part of last evening out there.
We are thankful that Tanner was able to have a pretty good life right to the end and we thank each one of you who showed your care in numerous ways as we dealt with his illness.
Lovingly always,
John, Marilyn Sue, and Max, our Court Jester


Here is what I wrote in response:
As Tanner's breeder, my sorrow is great but, can never match that of those who cared for him, past the few weeks I had him in my care.
Tanner's Story was an inspiration to many and, I know, has saved many a West Texas pet owner's pup's life. How many people did Tanner's Story educate about Valley Fever? We may never know that answer.
Peace be with my Big Boy/your Tanner Boy. May God bless the best puppy buyers/friends that any breeder can ever hope for. I'm sorry, I could type a book about you all but, I can't seem to say more, at the moment. I can't see through my tears. Just know, I love you all.
Peace and Love
From Our House
In Corsicana TX
To Yours
Joe and Lorraine Iervolino

She also, wrote:


Dear Yorkie Loving Friends…
Your empathetic understanding and true caring support means so much to each one of us. As you know, we are sad and we are lonely for our brown-eyed Tanner Boy but we couldn't ask him to stay longer. This morning I was very aware that 24 hours before today's wake-up time, Tanner was on the couch with the life having pretty much gone from his eyes. When we went in to the vet’s, Dr. B~ checked his gums and said how pale they were so he guessed Tanner had internal bleeding. As Tanner was coming back inside Saturday afternoon I saw him react like a shock had gone through him. He looked me right straight in the eye and then returned to his normal way. By Sunday and Monday nights he had stayed outside less time and began to walk more slowly with each outside trip. By the middle of Sunday night/Monday morning he was nearly unable to stand. In the early morning he was outside and he sat, then he lay down in the grass. I suspect the cool grass felt good on his hot swollen belly but he lay down because he couldn't stand up any longer.
I cannot begin to imagine what our life yesterday, today, and the future would be without Max. I already had "new collar for Max" on our "grocery list" so when I got that today I bought him a new toy, too. He is taking all of our added attention in stride and doing very much as he usually has done...except he no longer has the desire to "protect" the food dish from Tanner! He is eating his canned food with no hesitation... even checked with me to make sure I hadn't forgotten to give it to him by 7 last evening! So far I am not aware of his getting any of the dry food but that is left on the floor beside the water dish so he can help himself any time he desires. Max is hiding his stress so we will be watchful. I know he is hiding it because each time I pick him up, he puddles just a little bit…that is not normally his way. I cannot know how it works, but I am ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN he understands a lot more than we people could begin to convey!
When he was getting ready to leave, I asked Tanner to be sure to tell Tray that we loved her, too. In my mind that picture made it easier to let him go.
It may sound like a cliché but the truth remains that Tanner is gone from here but will always dwell in the very special corner he, and only he, could develop in our hearts.
To each one of you who takes time to share our sorrow our deepest thank you.
With love,
John, Marilyn, and Max, our Court Jester


Goodbye to OUR TANNER
May he rest in peace
Only his breeder: Lorraine Iervolino and her VanLori Yorkshire Terriers

No comments:

Post a Comment